Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Fashionista's Escapades: Petrosains

So I've been traveling for a bit. Not that much compared to others, mind you. There was a time where I had to fly to KL every month (made me kinda not look forward to flying to KL anymore) but that phase has stopped. Am now trying to savor my trips (no matter where they're headed to) as much as I can.


So, what would you do if you have a day or two free to yourself in KL? Well, I'm sure there'll be plenty of suggestions telling me to shop til I drop but this time, I decided to forgo shopping *gasp*.


Every year Malaysia would be having a mid-year sale right after the Singapore big sale in June. So if you're planning on doing some serious shopping, this is the perfect time =).

The thing is, I've been feeling so bad that I everytime I get a chance to fly to KL, the only thing that's on my mind is shopping. Really. So, this time, I've decided, that since I'm married (thus have a constant travel partner by my side), why not get a chance to explore KL, just like I would explore any foreign countries that I get a chance to holiday to.

So last month I had the opportunity to spend the weekend in KL accompanying hubs while he was working.


Checked-into the Federal Hotel. This place is as old as Malaysia itself =).

So, putting the thought of neglect aside, I've decided to bring hubs along to an adventure, exploring Malaysia. Hopefully my blog will soon feature more interesting places to visit in Malaysia =).


Day 1: I arrived in LCCT to find promotions on AirAsia's flights to Beijing. Did you know that AirAsia now has direct flights from Kuching to three destinations in China? You don't? Well, there's direct flights from Kuching to Beijing, Chengdu, and Hangzhou. Psst.. There's even direct flights from Kuching to Australia too! 


Our first time on the Aerobus. Usually we'd prefer the Skybus expecting that the more you pay (Skybus charges RM9 from LCCT to KL Sentral and Aerobus charges the same trip at RM8), the better the service right? My oh my, we have been so wrong all these while, despite it's cheaper price, the Aerobus is way more comfy, with plenty of leg room and reclining seats *happy sigh*. From now on, I'd pick the Aerobus over the Skybus. Sorry, AirAsia!


Arrived at KL Sentral over an hour later walked to the monorail station. Luckily the day wasn't too hot, otherwise, I'd think I'd melt under the scorching sun. 


Bukit Bintang. Looks empty, you think? Well, think again.


Bukit Bintang at 7.30pm. Definitely not empty.


First stop, Pavilion. We're actually there just for dinner, not shopping. See, I told you that this is NOT a shopping trip.


Although the sale signs were very, very tempting.


Pavilion's famous bunga raya bowl. 


Left Pavilion at around 10 pm and there's still a huge crowd in front of Bukit Bintang. Still definitely not empty.


Day 2: Decided to walk from Bukit Bintang to KLCC. There's a new walkway from Pavilion to KLCC, hubs says that the distance is not too far (actually it is, the distance is about 1.2km) and being the good sport that I am, decided to agree (which I shouldn't have if I'd known better).


This is the pedestrian's walk from Bukit Bintang to KLCC. As you can see, there's plenty of signage along the way. 


Oh, I almost forgot to mention, the pedestrian walk is air-conditioned. So no need to worry about the heat.


We came to find graduates milling around KLCC in their convocation suits. 

The pedestrian walk actually ended at KLCC (KL Convention Centre) not the shopping complex. To get to KLCC (the shopping complex), there are two ways, one is the underground tunnel and the other is the park. We opted for the underground tunnel.


The cute graffiti (or is it comic book?) inspired tunnel from the convention centre to KLCC.


Fishy business =)


It's hard not to miss the adverts along the way.


Came out of the tunnel and saw Auntie Anne's! Was tempted to get their cinnamon pretzel recommended by my pal, Kak Ratna.


Voila! We've arrived. I think the walk took me about 30 minutes (or more if you count the time spent walking from Federal Hotel).


Petrosains. The reason for our trip to KLCC. I did say that I wanted to explore KL right? 


We bought two tickets for Petrosains. The tickets would only cost you RM15 per person so for those with kids, I strongly recommend you bring them for a trip here =). Or maybe the wife can go shopping and the husband can bring the kids for a trip to Petrosains *hehe*.


Me and the Petrosains mascot. Didn't manage to catch it's name though.


The queue starts here.


And we had to go on in this Pacman-style ride. If you're afraid of roller coasters, you have nothing to worry about, this ride is the slowest ride ever. Seriously, I think walking would be faster.


Hubs and Einstein.


Shadow and light experiments. You'll find plenty of interactive and informative corners in Petrosains. It did make me wonder whether I'm secretly a nerd. 


This dinosaur was kinda cool, until it started rapping. Seriously? A rapping dinosaur? That was kinda lame.


This is what was behind the dinosaur.


If you're lucky, you get to witness volcanic eruption =). The fake one that is.


Methinks hubs is trying to compare his roar and the sabre-toothed tiger's roar. Haha!!


The tiger up close.


Went to see how petroleum explorations work.


And Petronas's racing technology.

At the end of the day, I must say that Petrosains is like a science museum but on a smaller scale, focusing exclusively on petroleum and what Petronas does. It wasn't that much exciting to me (I am not a nerd after all) but from the giggles, laughter and screams of the kids at Petrosains, they seem to be having a lot of fun. And the best part about Petrosains is that it features interactive learning, so kids really get to participate in their learning process.


I am this tall.


This one was taken while waiting for one of the shows in Petrosains. There's plenty of shows and hands-on experiments that kids (and me) were able to participate in that was quite fun. We watched a 3D movie on dinosaurs, went for a simulation ride of the roller coaster, and tried out some of the experiments. 


Overall, if you're planning a trip to Petrosains, I'd say, expect to spend at least 2-hours or more there. The place is huge, with a lot of twists and turns and not to mention plenty of exhibitions and shows to go for. The place is suitable for primary school kids as it's pretty much related to some of the things that they're studying in school.


Post Petrosains, I managed to snag some Garrett's for me to bring home to Kuching. Absolute yum! 

First trip exploring KL like a tourist was not to shabby I must say. Maybe on my next visit I can try to squeeze in spending some time visiting Aquaria. And walking to and fro from Bukit Bintang is quite manageable but after walking for about half a day, it's no wonder if your feet is sore. I don't know about you but mine was complaining the whole way back from KLCC to Bukit Bintang.


xoxo Mrs Fashionista

No comments:

Post a Comment